Energy Performance Certificate

The new Energy Saving Ordinance (Energieeinsparverordnung - EnEV) of 2008 imposes an energy certificate for all sold, rent or leased properties. Here, the law distinguishes between a simple consumption-based and a need-based energy certificate.

Since 1 October 2008, the need-based certificate is mandatory for owners of buildings with less than five units for which the building permit application was submitted before 1st November 1977 and which do not fulfill the requirements of the First Thermal Insulation Ordinance. For all other buildings, the consumption-based certificate suffices until now. With one exception: If you are applying for funding from a government-sponsored program, you must produce a need-based certificate in any case.